Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Merry Christmas Darn It

WARNING! What follows is a rant. Read at your own risk.

I don't know about you, but I've just about had it with all this politically correct "happy holidays" nonsense. The holiday is Christmas. It's Jesus' birthday. If the best you can do is wish me some kind of generic, vanilla, non-offensive to the athiests, greeting, then just smile and keep your mouth shut! If you insist on inflicting your non-specific holiday wish on me, I will smile and answer "Merry Christmas!"

If you're a merchant, and you expect me to spend my money in your store, then don't insult me with your neutrality. Now, I know, you're going to plead that you don't want to offend anyone who might not celebrate the birth of Christ. Well, guess what? You're offending ME by trying to remove Christ from Christmas. Guess what else? There are millions more like me. If every one of us would boycott your stores, maybe you would get the idea.

Here's the thing. Has anyone ever met a Jew, or a Muslim, or a Hindu, or anyone of any other faith who is offended when they are wished a Merry Christmas? Think about it. It's a sincere wish for a happy December 25th. We're not asking them to convert. We're saying nothing about what they believe. I would imagine that most intelligent people would be pleased that we're offering our good wishes to them, even though we know that they don't share our belief.

Consider, would you be offended if a Jewish person wished you a Happy Hannukah? I wouldn't. I would think it a very nice gesture. I can have eight happy days without abandoning my Christianity. And they can certainly have a Happy December 25th, especially since they probably get the day off!

Do you suppose that the citizens of London, Ontario are offended on July 4 because they can see Detroit's Independence Day fireworks? Do they stay in the house and close the blinds? Or do they get out their lawn chairs and enjoy the show? My guess is the latter. Who knows? Some may even cross the river and join in the festivities. I know I was once in Canada on their Independence Day (Canada Day, actually. It's on July 1.) It was very nice. I like a good party. If you want to invite me to your Hannukah celebration, I'll be glad to come. Just don't wish me "happy holidays."

The first job I ever had, when I was 15, was working for a Jewish merchant. He owned a small department store in a suburban neighborhood. Of course, he made a lot of money from Christmas business. But, he truly had more Christmas spirit than many Christians. We always had a party on Christmas Eve with some of the best food I ever tasted. It was quite a feast. And, there was also always a Christmas bonus. At the time I was making something like $15.00 a week. The bonus was the equivalent of a month's pay. He wished everyone a Merry Christmas and meant it.

He's been dead for a long time, but just in case they have the Internet in heaven, Merry Christmas, Mr. Kaplan.

And, Merry Christmas to you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home