Thursday, January 26, 2006

Be Merciful, O Lord for We Have Sinned

That David! What a guy!

He has a fling with the wife of one of his soldiers who’s off fighting a war. She gets pregnant and David sends for her husband. To get him out of the picture, David tells Joab to send Uriah back into battle and to put him up front where the fighting is the fiercest. Then pull back leaving him there to die, which he does.

What was David thinking? He was king. He could have any woman he wanted. Why did he pick on one who was married?

God’s plan was for David to become a king after his own heart. Having committed the sins of adultery and murder, how could David be such a king?

We know David committed these sins, but we also know that he sought God’s forgiveness. The son of his illicit affair was Solomon, and as we know, the Messiah, Jesus Christ would be born of the house of David.

God forgave David’s sins, because David asked for forgiveness. How do we know that? Because, we just read it in today’s psalm.


“Have mercy on me, O God, in your goodness;
in the greatness of your compassion wipe out my offense.
Thoroughly wash me from my guilt and of my sin cleanse me.”

David praises God and asks for forgiveness.

“For, I acknowledge my offense,
And my sin is before me always;
“Against you only have I sinned,
and done what is evil in your sight.”

He admits his guilt and acknowledges that his sin has been against God, and only against God.

“I have done such evil in your sight,
That you are just in your sentence,
Blameless when you condemn.
True, I was born guilty, a sinner,
even as my mother conceived me.”

He admits that God is just in condemning him and that he was BORN a sinner, the result of original sin.

“Let me hear the sounds of joy and gladness,
The bones you have crushed shall rejoice.
Turn away your face from my sins,
And blot out all my guilt.”

He asks God again to turn away from his sins and free him from his guilt.

As descendents of David our response is, “Be merciful, O Lord, for we have sinned.”

Isn’t it a wonderful thing to know that God forgave David’s sins and even allowed him to be the head of the family that would eventually be Christ’s family? How much more, then, will He forgive OUR sins? All we have to do is ask him.

The story of David and Bathsheba also reminds us that our leaders, whether they be spiritual leaders or political leaders, are not without sin. But, in spite of their sins, they can still be effective leaders. While their sin may be a sign of weakness, it doesn't mean that they can't accomplish great things. In fact, if they recognize their sins with humility, they might just be better leaders than they would have been if they had never sinned.

“Be merciful, O Lord for we have sinned.”

technorati tags:


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home