Saturday, January 21, 2006

David and Saul

Today’s first reading paints an interesting picture. At the end of yesterday’s reading, Saul promises his son that he will not kill David. But today, we’ve skipped about five chapters forward and Saul is looking for David to do him in. Here’s where it gets interesting.

David is traveling with about 600 men. They’re hiding deep in a cave. That must have been some cave to hold David and all his men far enough away from the entrance that Saul doesn’t know they’re there. Saul has entered the cave to “relieve himself.” Meanwhile, his 3,000 soldiers are standing around waiting for him.

I don’t want to be indelicate here, but apparently Saul wasn’t standing up, if you get my drift. He’s in a very compromising position when David approaches him. David is able to sneak up behind him and cut off a piece of his cloak. But, he doesn’t kill Saul. He lets him go. He can’t bring himself to kill his king, even though the king was looking to kill David.

Then he follows him outside and calls after him. He tells Saul what he has done and has the piece of the cloak as proof. Saul is so grateful to David for sparing his life that he promises not to kill him and predicts that he will become king of Israel.

The responsorial Psalm, Psalm 57 begins, “Have mercy on me, O God; have mercy on me, for in you I take refuge. In the shadow of your wings I take refuge,
till harm pass by.” These words were written by David and could have been written about the events in the first reading.

I call to God the Most High, to God, my benefactor. May he send from heaven and save me; may he make those a reproach who trample upon me;
may God send his mercy and his faithfulness.
Our response is, “Have mercy on me, God, have mercy.”
Be exalted above the heavens, O God;
above all the earth be your glory!

For your mercy towers to the heavens, and your faithfulness to the skies.
David spared Saul’s life. Saul spared David’s life in return. Mercy begets mercy. It’s a valuable lesson that we should always keep in mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home