Thursday, May 26, 2005

St. Augustine of Canterbury

In today’s Gospel, we get to see what happens when Jesus gets mad. First, it’s the poor fig tree. Now I have nothing against fig trees myself. But there is a tree in my back yard that I’ve been trimming and I’ve put a few curses on that son-of-a-gun. So, I find this Gospel kind of encouraging, knowing that even Jesus could lose his patience with a tree.

Anyway, fig trees are one of the few fruit trees that sprout leaves at a different time than they bear fruit. Jesus had to know that. So, why did he curse the poor tree for doing what fig trees do? It wasn’t because the tree scratched up his arms and legs like my tree has done to me. The tree was an innocent bystander. Jesus’ father made all the trees and Jesus was there when He did it. He knew all about trees. So, why the curse?

I think the key is the next sentence after He says “May no one ever eat of your fruit again!” Mark says “And his disciples heard it.”

The next morning, on their way out of Jerusalem, they passed the same tree. It was withered to its roots. Peter said to Jesus “Rabbi, look! The fig tree you cursed has withered.” Of course it withered. Jesus has healed the sick. He turned water into wine. He made the blind see. What’s the big deal about withering a tree?

First, in the past, all Jesus’ miracles were about healing; about making things better. This is the first time they’ve seen Him destroy something. And, He made sure that they heard Him. I think the tree thing was an example for the Apostles. Jesus tells them that they can cause mountains to be lifted up and thrown into the sea. If they don’t doubt, if they believe that what they say will happen, it will happen. He’s preparing them for the time when He won’t be physically with them.

The reading concludes with Jesus telling them that when they stand to pray, notice he said “stand”, not kneel, “forgive anyone against whom you have a grievance, so that your heavenly Father may in turn forgive you your transgressions.” Sound familiar? It’s a precursor to the Lord’s Prayer.
[pause]

But, that’s not what I wanted to talk about this morning. Today is the memorial of St. Augustine of Canterbury. Augustine was born in Rome. We’re not sure exactly when, but it was some time in the middle 500’s. He was a Benedictine monk, one of the first. Pope Gregory sent him, along with 40 other Benedictines to England in the late 500’s. Word on the street was that King Ethebert had married a Christian girl and there might be the possibility of a conversion for the king. He was eventually successful and Ethebert, along with his subjects joined the Roman Church. Augustine became the first Archbishop of Canterbury.

I’m kind of attached to St. Augustine because Jan and I were married at St. Augustine Church over in Illinois. Like King Ethebert, I became a Catholic because I married one. So Augustine converted Ethebert when Ethebert married a Catholic. I became a Catholic at St. Augustine’s when I married a Catholic.

[By the way, there are 17 Saints named Augustine.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home