Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Pope Benedict XVI

I suppose I would be remiss if I didn't join the chorus of voices commenting on our new Holy Father, Pope Benedict XVI, so here goes. I guess I'm surprised that the "experts" actually got one right, at least some of them. Cardinal Ratzinger was supposed to be the front runner and he actually was.

I have very vague memories of the selection of John Paul I or II. At that time of my life, my Catholic faith (if you could call it that) was weak to say the least. I remember being surprised at the untimely death of JPI, but otherwise, I really have little recollection. So this is the first Papal election in which I have taken an interest. I find I have some odd feelings. I was very excited when I heard the bells ringing on the radio. I noticed that my hands were shaking as I waited for the announcement of the new Pope's identity.

I know that the Cardinals made a good choice because the Holy Spirit would not allow them to do otherwise. As a Catholic, and especially as a member of the clergy, I am bound to honor their choice with the understanding that he now has a special charism that no one else on earth can claim.

God bless Benedict XVI. May he lead us wisely and well guided by the Holy Spirit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home