Wednesday, February 04, 2004

February 4, 2004

February 4, 2004 Wed of the 4th week in ordinary time
Mark 6: 1-6

“A prophet is not without honor except in his native place and among his own kin and in his own house.”

If today’s Gospel sounds familiar, it’s because just this past Sunday we heard the same story from the Gospel of Luke. Jesus has been working miracles in Capernaum. He returns to his home town. He’s teaching in the synagogue. Mark tells us that at first the people who heard him were “astonished”.

Then they began to question him. Isn’t he the son of the carpenter? Where does he get off preaching to us? Who does he think he is? The next thing you know, they’re trying to throw him off a cliff.

According to Luke’s Gospel, the people of Nazareth are aware of what Jesus has been doing in Capernaum. He’s been performing miracles. Why isn’t he healing the sick here in his home town? What’s the deal?

But He knows that in his home town, they’re thinking of Him as Joseph and Mary’s son. That makes accepting Him as the Son of God very difficult. Those who are familiar with us have a hard time seeing us in a different light. Isn’t it that way with all of us?

When people question the wisdom of a celibate priesthood, married deacons can point to this story as one example of why it’s a good idea. You see me up here, all dressed in my dalmatic and looking all churchy. But to my kids, I’m just “dad”. And I always will be. I may think I look cool on the altar, but believe me, they’re not impressed. They know better. Depending on which one you talk to, me being a deacon is either a case of mistaken identity or a total disaster.

Jesus’ neighbors had seen him covered with sawdust, working in the carpenter shop. He might have made them a cabinet that they really didn’t like very much. Maybe, when he was young, he ran through their flower beds, or made too much noise playing with the other kids.

My kids have seen me at my worst. They know me well, too well to be impressed just because I wear a clerical collar. I’m the guy who yells when they play their music too loud. Or enforces the curfew.

Jesus lives in each one of us. That’s why we say “the Body of Christ”, and not “THIS IS the Body of Christ”, when we distribute Holy Communion. He exists not just in the consecrated bread and wine, but also in every one of us. By saying simply, “the Body of Christ”, we acknowledge His presence in one another. I can see him in each one of you.

It’s probably easier for me to see Him in each of you than it is for members of your family, because, they’re too close, just like the people of Nazareth were too close to Christ. Sometimes it takes a real effort to see holiness in the ones closest to us. But, isn’t it worth the trouble?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home